Novant HealthTuition Reimbursement Policy: number 4085
SCOPE / PURPOSE
The purpose of Tuition Reimbursement Program is to assure that Novant Health has a qualified and educated work force as well as to promote lifelong learning for all employees. This is achieved by:
1. allocating funds to pay for work-related education or skill development;
2. encouraging all employees to accept responsibility for their work-related education;
3. having regular discussions between leaders and their staff regarding education needs and goals;
4. developing plans to assure that employee and organizational needs and goals are met.
The Tuition Reimbursement Program provides tuition assistance to eligible full-time and part-time employees who want to continue their education by taking job-related courses at an accredited school or college. A grade of "C" or better must be earned to be eligible for reimbursement.
Maximum Annual Benefit
There is a calendar year maximum benefit of $1,700 for full-time employees for tuition, fees and books. The maximum benefit for part-time employees is $850. If any part of your tuition expense for an otherwise eligible course is payable by scholarship or grants, no reimbursement will be provided for that portion of the cost.
Work-Related Tuition Reimbursement
Novant Health will provide, upon approval, tuition reimbursement to employees for studies/courses taken at an accredited school and/or college that will provide individual skills enhancement and job mobility within the Novant Health system.
1. To be eligible, an employee must have worked a minimum of one year with Novant Health prior to the beginning date of the course. In addition, the employee must be classified as benefits eligible. Fulltime benefits eligible employees work 30 or more hours per week; part-time benefits eligible employees work 20 – 29 hours per week. The employee must remain benefits eligible for the duration of the course and through the date he or she files for tuition reimbursement.
2. Tuition reimbursement is available only for courses taken through an accredited college or university. Online courses will be approved based on an individual evaluation of the program.
3. To request tuition reimbursement, employees must complete a Tuition Reimbursement Form and return it to the Human Resources Department.
4. If an employee is eligible for a scholarship or other financial assistance, this information must be provided on the reimbursement form.
5. The employee's manager must approve any special arrangements for meeting work and class schedules. The general practice is that classes are to be scheduled outside the regularly scheduled work day. However, in unusual circumstances, the manager may approve changing the work schedule to accommodate the employee's class schedule if patient care needs and the department’s business objectives can be met.
6. If approved, the employee will receive reimbursement upon the successful completion of each course.
a) Full-time employees may be reimbursed up to $1,700 per year. To receive the full-time benefit the employee must maintain full-time status for the duration of the course and through the date he or she files for tuition reimbursement. Part-time employees may be reimbursed up to $850 per year.
b) A grade of "C" or better must be achieved and maintained in order to receive reimbursement.
c) Required tuition, standard fees and books are eligible for reimbursement. Non-standard fees, such as late fees, parking fines and the like are not eligible for reimbursement.
d) At the end of the course, the employee must complete the Tuition Reimbursement Request and attach:
-receipts of expenditures (only receipts showing expenses will be accepted; letters from the school will not be considered sufficient documentation), and
e) The Tuition Reimbursement Request and supporting documentation must be received by Human Resources within 60 days of the course completion date. Documentation received after 60 days will not be processed for reimbursement.
5. The Human Resources Department is responsible for budgeting and approval of disbursements for tuition reimbursement.